The Pantsir-S1 air defence missile/gun system is designed for air defence of small military, (including mobile), administrative and industrial installations and areas against enemy aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles and precision guided weapons. It is also used to reinforce the Air Defence groupings when repelling massive air attacks.
The Pantsir-S1 has the following main features:
- combined missile/gun armament;
- immune radar/optical fire control system, consisting of a target tracking and missile guidance radar and a thermal imager for target tracking and missile direction finding;
- engagement of 4 targets at once;
- automatic target engagement mode;
- firing surface-to-air missiles (SAM) in radar mode;
- autonomous operation with an automatic target engagement cycle, from target acquisition to engagement;
- use of the combat vehicle as part of a battery in different combat operation modes;
- engagement of a target by the missile and gun armament from a stationary position and on the move;
- modular design of the combat vehicle allowing the development of its different versions.
Types of targets engaged: aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles, precision guided weapons, ground targets.