The 120mm Nona-M1 towed rifled semi-automatic breech-loaded mortar is designed to engage enemy manpower located in the open or in field shelters, fire means, command and control points, light-armored and armored targets in the near tactical area.
The distinctive features of the mortar are:
- high accuracy of fire with HE projectiles and finned bombs; high power of its 120mm HE projectiles comparable to the fragmentation effect of 152-155mm projectiles;
- automatic change-over of the barrel for loading;
- automatic breech opening and locking;
- good operational and tactical flexibility (the mortar is balanced, can be disassembled into components, has a variable wheel track);
- increased crew survivability on the firing position.